“I have a hard disk and it has got corrupted. When I connect it to my Windows 7 machine, my external hard disk rotates but, my machine does not recognize it. I have checked other connections too but, they are also not working. Please, can anyone tell me how to recover data from external hard disk which is corrupted? Any lead will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.”
Are you also looking answer to the same problem? Does the query seem familiar to you? If yes, then do not need to worry. The post deals with the best possible solutions to retrieve the data from corrupted hard disk. If your external hard disk, USB, SD card, hard drive partition, etc. devices are crashed suddenly or gets damaged, just follow the solutions below and save your valuable data now.
Reasons Behind Hard Drive Corruption in Windows
There are many causes due to which any storage device gets corrupted. Given below is the list of reasons which can lead to external or internal hard drive corruption:
- The improper operation like unplugging a device from the system without ejecting
- Bad sectors which exist on the storage device
- Virus attack on the system
- File system error led to hard drive corruption
Methods to Prevent Hard Drive From Corruption
If users want to avoid unnecessary occurring of error and internal/external hard drive corruption issue, it is suggested to keep the following points in mind:
- Update the drivers timely of the devices like USB drive, memory card, SD card, external hard drive and hard drive partition.
- Use the devices properly
- Clean the virus in your system with the help of anti-virus software regularly
- Remove the external hard drive from the system, While not in use.
- But, what will happen if the error has already occurred? Do not worry. The professional solution to restore data from the corrupted external hard drive without any data loss will be discussed in the upcoming section.
Professional Solution to Recover Data from External Hard Disk Which is Corrupted
The corrupted hard disk data can be recovered with the help of the SysTools Software. According to the experts, it is the best possible solution to recover the lost, corrupted, and shift-deleted data from any hard disk. The tool also enables you to preview entire data before saving the recovered files.
A user needs to follow the working steps of the SysTools HDD Recovery Tool to extract data from corrupted hard disk in an efficient way:
- Download and Install SysTools Hard Drive Data Recovery Software on your local system.
- Select the partition from which you want to recover corrupted data then hit Scan. Wait till the scanning process completes to 100%.
- After complete scanning tool will provide you the preview of entire recovered data from corrupted hard disk on the screen.
- Now the software will provide you option to Save Recovered Files and Folders. Here you can save either selected files or complete folder.
Alternative Solution to Extract Data From Corrupted Hard Disk Manually
When error messages start flashing up on the screen, it is needed to repair damaged hard disk and bring it back to the normal state. It can be done in a few steps by formatting. So, in order to protect your files, chkdsk command can be used to manage in Windows 7, 8 and 10.
A user can follow the given set of instructions to retrieve the data from corrupted hard disk:
- To open up the power users menu, you have to press Windows key+X button
- From the power users menu, select the option of Command Prompt (Admin)
- You have to click on Yes when a UAC window emerges on the console requesting permission to open the command prompt as administrator
- In the new command prompt window which opens up, you are required to enter chkdsk E: /f/r/x. Here, E should be replaced with the drive letter.
This procedure will enable the user to examine and fix the issues regarding disk errors in Windows 10. Each parameter has a different job to do, for example,
“/f” parameter tells CHKDSK to resolve any issues it finds
“/r” instructs to find bad sectors in the disk drive and restore readable information
“/x” forces the disk drive to dismount before the beginning of the process.
Limitations of the Manual Approach to Recover Corrupted Data
There are some of the drawbacks of the manual methods when it comes to restoring data from the corrupted external hard drive. These are listed as follows:
- Every step is to be performed by the user. Hence, the process is lengthy and time-consuming
- It becomes difficult for a non-technical person to go for this method
- A mistake committed at any point can lead to the loss of data
- It may result in altered data or missing images, videos, documents etc.
The Observational Verdict
Hard drives are used to store the useful information of any users. It is an important device for the users who have to save a lot of data. No doubt, it offers some very amazing advantages but, there are some problems associated with this device too. It leads to serious issues when it gets corrupted. Although the data is present in hard disk only, it becomes inaccessible. The post deals with the best possible solution for data recovery from external hard disk which is corrupted.